Fish Pie is the quintessential comfort food and perfect for any occasion. As it’s Friday, we thought we ought to give you a fish dish to kickstart your weekend. Hope you enjoy!
300-400g Fish (I’ve gone for Salmon, Cod and Prawns to mix it up a bit)
1kg White Potato
Salt & Pepper
Cooking Time: 45mins-1hour
- Preheat your oven at 200°C (180°C for fan ovens, or Gas Mark 6)
- Cut your potatoes into 5cm/2in blocks and boil whilst you get to work on the white sauce
- Making the White Sauce: Heat up your milk (pan or microwave is fine). Put the butter in a hot pan, shortly followed by the flour, and mix together until you get a thick paste. Add the warm/hot milk and whisk until the sauce starts to thicken a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add your fillings to the white sauce and leave to thicken further, whilst you get started with the mash.
- Making the Mash: After your potatoes have boiled for about 25 minutes, drain them and put them back in the pan. Give them a bit of a roughing up with your masher, before adding the butter and milk. Mash away until your heart is content (some people like lumpy mash, others don’t - consult your family first). Add salt and pepper to season.
- Dollop the mash on top and spread evenly. Add any extra toppings you like, such as breadcrumbs and/or grated cheese on top.
- Put your fish pie in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until satisfied with the colour (the edges and top should start to crisp and some bits may turn brown)
- Take it out and serve. This dish often goes well with green veg, such as broccoli or green beans. However, it can be equally satisfying on its own.
Let us know if you enjoyed this recipe by sharing this on any of the social media platforms below, or if you have any ideas of how to improve this dish, let us know in the comments even further below!
“Especially good at eliminating cooking odours” (a 2Pure customer) - Never have to worry about cooking odours in your home with 'It’s Gone’. 50% Off Your First Order On Our Website!